Saturday, December 02, 2006

Fishless in the Living Room

It's a strange luxury to be able to predict with absolute precision how many fish I will catch this weekend. For one thing, it has permitted me to write an entry before-hand, but it also sadly means that the cold beginning of December won't see this average steelheader on any riverside.

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I needed to repay the prime female in my life, for some of her patience this fall. As I write this, she's out with the girls, laughing herself silly and anticipating something she hasn't experienced in a long, long time: a late rise from bed tomorrow morning. The boys are blissfully asleep, but I'm just waiting for Isaac's nightly protest over a wet diaper, while I write & prepare formula. I hope it's soon, because my morning won't be looking like the caption, above. It'll be looking like this.

I love them, all three; but I admit to the deep temptation to sample tomorrow's high waters here in the east. And Sunday's clearing flows... And there's an itch at the core of all the bones of my right arm, as though even the marrow is asking "where's the rod? when's the next cast?"

Oh, but "papa" can bide his time. Not just for next weekend, by which point the debt will be paid; but I have two sons. Most likely, they won't be shopping for skirts with mommy at any point in the future.

This is good, I say to myself as I fill the bottles for tomorrow morning's hyena's feast. This is very good indeed (insert evil laugh here).

p.-

2 comments:

Trotsky said...

Hyena feast!!
lol
Sorry to hear you are stranded...by the sounds of it we are shut down on this end for while as well ..if it makes you feel any better.
Ah the middle of the night maintenance calls....very glad to be past that.
Cherish it all man....you are double blessed there and I don't know how you do it. Time passes quickly ...too quickly when it comes to kids ..and there will always be fish.
You have beautiful children.
Gene

PaulGHurtubise said...

Thanks Gene! You sure know how to butter up a dad ;). Honestly, I save my sanity by going fishing the odd time, even if the fishing's bad (as bad as my lower back these days). The only curse to that kind of self-psychiatry is knowing very well - when you absolutely just can't go - how good the fishing's gonna be. For example: today, tomorrow...
hehe
p.-